Friday, September 02, 2005

The chafe of changing your name

I legally became Mandy Richau Sladden last September (in one week that will be a year).

Changing your name is a horrible process - it seems that every organization (even mileage companies) out there requires physical proof (birth certificate and marriage certificate) to make the change, and they aren't giving the documents back. As backwards as Montana is, they actually allowed me to request many copies of my birth and marriage certificate online.

I decided to keep Mandy Richau at work because
a. I didn't want to confuse those who already knew me as Mandy Richau (everyone I know)
b. I didn't want to waste my already printed business cards
c. Mark already had msladden@mercury.com (ok secretly I felt weird that I had married a co-worker - scandal)

Last week I got a note from our admin asking that I provide my SS# to payroll - seems they can't find Mandy Richau in their system, only Josh Richau. (Maybe they think Josh had a sex change and became Mandy). My first thought, was "I must have been fired, and scott forgot to tell me" - actually I really just signed at the continued chafe. The Travel company continues to send Mark my itineraries, and HR sent Mark my stock option grant.

I can only imagine that in today's world many men and women legally change their name, but keep their business identity as it was before the marriage - but it seems pretty foreign around Mercury.

I have thought of a couple of solutions:
Have mark give up the msladden email to me and change his to dilnot@mercury.com (that is memorable and people will pick that change up quickly)
or
Sign my correspondences: "Please pick the appropriate combination Mandy Elizabeth Richau Sladden"
or
Legally change my name to just "mandy" - yes all small letters.

1 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Scott Johnston said...

I'm voting for a combo. Mark and Mandy Slicau.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home