My Heart is broken...
We had cleaning ladies last Thursday and while we took Lola for a walk they cleaned the office. I came back to find my KVM switch beeping and beeping (as if I was trying to change back and forth between my computers). I unplugged the switch and sadly my G5 wasn't displaying video.
I hard booted the computer and only a grey screen appeared with the apple - no spinner. I sat on the phone with apple support for a while and we went through their famous scripted questions for retards… have you plugged the computer in, do you know what your name is… It became clear that apple care phone support wasn't going to be enough so we trekked into Denver to the apple store hoping the "Genius Bar" would save my machine.
On the ride in to Denver it hit me that I hadn't backed up my files in 3 months. I have been having issues with illustrator (imagine that) saving over the network. So I was just saving locally. Not only did I not back up my creative files, but we also haven't backed up our photos.
I started to feel sick to my stomach.
The apple "Geniuses" turned out to be downers - they immediately said it looked bleak and they sure hoped I had backed up the drive. I wanted to kill them - but I still needed to remain cool hoping they would pull out some sort of secret 3rd party application to save my data. Instead they wanted to erase the disk and start over.
Not wanting to give up, and really ready to give them as much money as they want to just get my data back we shelled out $100 for Disk Warrior. I started it running that night and it is still running…. Yes that is almost 168 hours of running…. On step 6 of 11 claiming that it has 8783 overlapping files. It continues to increase so something is working.
The disk is under warranty but they won't verify that it is truly damaged until I erase and try to reinstall the OS. I refuse to give up so ordered another disk to replace this one. I plan to try and let disk warrior complete somewhere - but I do need my computer back.
Goodbye work, goodbye photos I won't give you up without a fight!
Let this be a notice to all to BACKUP YOUR WORK OFTEN!
You think I would have learned from the wiki incident - shoot!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home